Rapid increases in data variety and data management practices challenge the old model of policy- and enforcement-based data governance. Cloud services bring new issues that go well beyond the obvious concerns of security and privacy. Big data implementation brings substantial changes to the scope and complexity of governance. Many ask if governance and agile can coexist. The answer must be “yes,” but making them work together is especially challenging.
Cloud services, big data, and agile BI are here to stay. Data governance programs must modernize and adapt to these realities. A fundamental culture change from control-oriented governance to collaboration is at the core of modern data governance—shifting from enforcement to prevention and intervention as the means to assure data security, privacy, compliance, quality, and value. Beyond cultural change, every data governance participant needs to understand the new issues and the new opportunities that arise from current trends in data management.
You Will Learn
- The data governance challenges and opportunities that arise from cloud services
- Risks, challenges, and opportunities of big data governance
- How to overcome apparent conflicts between data governance and agile
- Roles, relationships, and complexities of metadata management for data governance
- Data governance challenges that arise from mobile devices and from social media
- The importance of ethics as a data governance imperative
- New models, practices, and processes for modern data governance